Sunday, August 26, 2007

Book Review: Beauty Fades, Dumb Is Forever - The Making of a Happy Woman by Judy Sheindlin

Most of us know Judy Sheinldlin as Judge Judy.

During the Paris Hilton debacle, Judy Sheindlin was a guest on Larry King and discussed some of the content of her best selling book, Beauty Fades, Dumb Is Forever - The Making of a Happy Woman.

I was so impressed by Judge Judy's message to women of all ages, the next day I went to our local bookstore to buy her book. I was floored when none of them had it in stock. I asked if it was because "the book" was such a hot seller it was flying off the shelves! Every book seller said the same thing - "We don't carry this book, but we can order it for you." "You have got to be kidding me!" I exclaimed in dismay.

Then I considered, because it's an older book (copyright 1999) people have already read it. Upon further investigation, I found the majority I spoke with had never heard of the book.

I ordered Judy's book from Amazon and within a couple of days I was engaged in its candor, superb writing style, wit and message.

If you are a woman of any age, I highly recommend reading it.

If you are a man and want to better understand the challenges women face, I suggest reading this book in its entirety. As a father, I needed to read it. As a husband, I needed to read it. As an employer, I needed to read it. As a person, I needed to read it.

I agree with almost everything Judy describes. Yes, "Dumb Is Forever" if a person doesn't take responsibility for his or her own education and life. "Beauty Fades" is where I had a problem. I DO KNOW what Judy means by "Beauty Fades" in the title. But what this does is reinforces the disturbing notion that only the younger women are beautiful. Her meaning of "Beauty Fades" is for young women such as Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, Linsey Lohan and on and on. If these so called "Beautiful Young Women" fail to get it together, as they age, they will have very little if anything to contribute to society, friends, family and others. Right now they are young and beautiful. Later, when "Beauty Fades," there won't be anything left for these current icons to display. Their stories will most likely end with a tragic chapter.

Personally, I think her book would have made a bigger impact on the general public, especially women, if the title was simply, "The Making of a Happy Woman."

With this in mind, I can confidently say, Judge Judy has written one of the most important books in modern history.

One of the most successful and current bestselling books is "The Secret." I love reading, The Secret. It feels good. Its main message is, "The Law of Attraction." In other words, "We reap what we sow." I must tell you, however, "The Secret" is soft reading material compared to the reality of timeless principles contained in Judge Judy's book. We learn, Happiness is a choice. Happiness takes work. Happiness is being responsible for our own happiness. Happiness takes self-discipline. And believe it or not, Happiness is about taking risks. It's much easier to blame circumstances or others for our unhappiness than make the decision work at learning and living the principles of happiness. I'm guilty of it too!

At some point, reality hits all of us. It's no secret. For our current debacle icons, reality is hitting hard. They are attracting exactly what and/or who they are and what and/or who they surround themselves. "The Secret" is correct. It's the law of attraction. The sad reality? These icons don't know how to get out of the mess they are currently in. It's hard to believe, but nevertheless, it's true.

The good news is, EVERYTHING WE NEED IS WITHIN REACH. Will someone please inform Ms. Hilton and Brittany of this.

Just in case they can't read, it comes on audio book as well.

You will most likely have to order this book on-line.

Dorlon Peckham
Genesis Salon
250 Crummer Lane
Reno, NV 89502
775-828-9797

No comments: