Sunday, October 7, 2007

THE MAKEOVER - MAGIC, MYTH OR POSSIBLITY?

For Christmas one year, a client gave me a little magnet for my styling station which read, "I'm a Beautician, not a Magician." Since the early 1980's, I've been asked to perform countless "MAKEOVER MIRACLES."

As a hairdresser, I bear the responsibility of providing each client with an individualized hairstyle to compliment her natural colorations, hair type, style personality, skin texture, face shape, body type, lifestyle and the current trends to keep her up-to-date. In many cases, it becomes a work in progress. Nevertheless, it's what I do and what I've committed myself to do. I get it!

I've come to realize there are several levels to a makeover. The first, most basic level is the physical aspect of the hairstyle itself. Does it work for her? The second level is, can she maintain her "new do" after she leaves the salon? This requires education in regard to using the correct home haircare products and how to use the tools such as flat irons, curling irons, brushes, rollers, etc. Also, to inform her on the potential, damaging effects of certain brushes and heat implements.

What about getting different styling options from her "one" hairstyle? This too, requires education and encouragement. Helping someone "step out of her comfort zone," is where the slope can get slippery. Change someones perception of who she is and/or who she can become? This subject is always up for debate. Is it a hairstylist's place? Each woman must decide for herself.

My training and exposure to companies like Bumble and bumble has opened my eyes, ears and artistic perceptions to what is possible. Below is a recent Bumble and bumble poster which I have next to my styling station to encourage clients as well as myself to explore the many possibilities.

One Woman - Ten Months - Four Haircuts - Eight Styles




Most women are open for change - this is why the majority of my clientele are women. I once attended the 50-year wedding anniversary of a client's mother and father. At the celebration a table was set up showing the couple's wedding day picture with several dozen photos taken throughout their 50 years. The wife progressed through the five decades sporting every imaginable style representing the decades she was living. The husband? Basically the same as the day they were married. The hair becoming thinner and the waistline becoming thicker but basically his hairstyle was the same as the day he said, "I do."

We love watching makeover shows on television or seeing pictures in magazines and books that show "the before and after" pictures that "wow" us. In many cases, there are subtle shifts in the photo itself where the subject is frowning in "the before" picture and in "the after" picture she's smiling. Bad lighting, then good lighting, is another trick used by clever photographers to enhance the magic of the makeover transformation.

This week I am spotlighting a client who has redefined, in my mind, the "MAKEOVER MIRACLE." All I can say is "WOW!" I feel honored to have played a small part in helping her look and feel her best. The day I cut Janet's hair shorter, she sat white knuckled in my chair, looking into the mirror with disbelief. Janet Pratt, however, made a decision to investigate the possibilities of "THE MAKEOVER MIRACLE."

In Janet's own words:

"I knew I had to do something when I ended up on the bathroom floor and couldn't get up. [She had toppled over from her own weight] I started with a few changes in diet and began some easy exercise. After losing 65 pounds I looked and felt a lot better and plateaued for a year. After a year started working and gained back about 20 pounds. I really wanted to get the rest off. I really wanted to weigh under 200 pounds. I started a regimented diet and lost about 20 pounds. People started to tell me how great I looked and that there was a hot person inside me. Men started paying attention to me. That felt very good after years of being invisible. I began to feel more confident. I cut my hair short and colored it red which was a very big thing for me. I got a lot of encouragement from the people around me which encouraged me to continue toward my goal. When I realized that I had lost a total of about 80 pounds I realized that maybe I could really get all the weight off this time. Going under 200 pounds was a huge milestone. I was able to buy clothes more to my taste instead of whatever was available in my size. The more I was able to express myself by what I chose to wear and style my hair, the more positive feedback I received. The first time someone told me I was sexy I was thrilled to pieces. I had never seen myself that way and to have someone tell me that at the age of 45 was wonderful. All of this keeps me motivated to keep going toward my goal. When I was 275 pounds I felt like people either didn’t see me or didn’t like me. I hated crowds and social situations. My sister said it was because I put off an unapproachable vibe, like I expected them not to like me. Now I’m more outgoing and friendly (OK, I’m flirty!). I’m comfortable meeting new people and people often tell me that I’m fun to be around. At 275 pounds there were a lot of things that I wanted to do. At 175, I’m doing them. I’m somewhat athletic, I bicycle, ice skate, play softball, and weight train. I never thought I could dance, but now I ballroom dance and people often stop me and tell me what a wonderful dancer I am and that they enjoy watching me. I would never have danced publicly before to begin with, and most certainly not on an empty dance floor where people could watch me. My life has changed completely and I’m a different person."

THE MAKEOVER
BEFORE



AFTER
























Janet's story brings warmth to my heart. I hope you will find the inspiration in her strength and persistence as much as I do. Knowing the other aspects of Janet's life and what she contributes to the betterment and protection of children, makes her one of the most beautiful people I've ever met.

Congratulations and a "BIG WOW!" from all the lives you've touched and continue to touch in such selfless, positive ways. The world is a better place because of people like you.

Dorlon Peckham
Genesis Salon
250 Crummer Lane
Reno, NV 89502
775-828-9797
www.genesissalon.com

No comments: